National Project for Visually Impaired
Education is the most powerful weapon which can change the world.
Amway Opportunity Foundation (AOF) has been working for the cause of the visually impaired child right from 1999, when it began its National Project for Visually Impaired.
Over the years, AOF has benefited more than 1 lakh visually impaired individuals, especially children. AOF has supported more than 85,000 visually impaired children with Braille textbooks. Avenues for access to newer employment opportunities for the visually impaired were opened up by setting up 16 computer centres across the country. The computer centre provides basic computer course for school and college going visually impaired students on the fundamentals of computers with the support of assistive technologies like such as Jaws, NVDA etc.
Close to 1000 students are getting benefitted from 12 computer centres every year. AOF also organizes soft skills trainings such as in the field of communication, confidence building etc.
- Gurgaon - AOF-AICB Centre for Excellence, Village Behrampur, Gurgaon - With All India Confederation of the Blind
- Chandigarh - AOF-NAB Centre for Excellence, at Asha Kiran, Sec 46 D, Chandigarh - With National Association for the Blind
- Ludhiana - AOF - NAB Centre for Excellence, Panchayat Bhavan, Room No.2, Zila Parishad, Civil Lines, Ludhiana
- Narendrapur - AOF-RKMBBA Computer Centre, at Narendrapur - With Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boy's Academy
- Kolkata - AOF-Turnstone Centre for Excellence, at 63, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road, Kolkata - 700016 - With National Association for the Blind (NAB)
- Guwahati - AOF-GBS Computer Centre, Basistha, Guwahati - 781029 - With Guwahati Blind School
- Ahmedabad - AOF- AKPG Centre for Excellence, at Near Manav Mandir, Memnagar, Ahmedabad-380002 - With Andh Kanya Prakash Gruh
- Mumbai - AOF-NAB Centre for Excellence, 11, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan Road, Worli Seaface, Mumbai - 400 030 - With National Association for the Blind
- Patna - AOF-Anterjyoti Computer Centre, Kumhrar, Patna - 800020 - With Anterjyoti Netraheen Balika Vidyalaya
- Trivandrum - AOF-NAB Computer Centre, at Manjadivila Road, Plamood, Trivandrum - 695003 - With National Association for the Blind
- Madurai - AOF-IAB Centre for Excellence, Sundarajanpatti, Arumbanour Post - With Indian Association for the Blind
- Raipur - AOF-NAB Computer Center for Excellence, Heerapur - With National Association for the Blind
At the Indian Association for the Blind (IAB) centre in Madurai, students who successfully completed the computer literacy program are offered training and absorbed at IAB run BPO centre. AOF has also launched a mobile application - Accessible Reader for the benefit of the visually impaired individuals. This mobile application leverages available text-to-speech engines and makes it convenient for the visually impaired to read digital documents. AOF has taken this initiative in line with the Govt. of India’s Accessible India campaign, which focuses on increasing the availability of Information & technology for differently abled people.